Thursday, March 11, 2010

Delightful!

Psalm 37:4 (New International Version)

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

**************************************************

I have heard so many people quote this verse, and I myself have read it several times. What a wonderful promise that is: "...he will give you the desires of your heart."

But it seems to me that we've all only been seeing THAT part of this scripture. Being human - and thus being selfish - I think the first part is glossed over with some kind of mysterious invisible ink.

Delight yourself in the LORD...what does that mean? The dictionary definition of delight is as follows:

to give great pleasure, satisfaction, or enjoyment to; please highly.
to have great pleasure; take pleasure

Do you take great pleasure in spending time with the Lord each day? Do you feel satisfied and highly pleased by your relationship with God? Is it your great pleasure to think upon Him in all things that you say and do? Is God DELIGHTFUL to you?

It occurred to me that if my relationship with God is, indeed, delightful then the desires of my heart are not going to be the things of this world. The desires of my heart are going to be those things that are only given to me by grace alone, as a child of God.

I believe that when we use this scripture, we are so often wanting things of this world: that perfect mate, that promotion at work, more money, more success, more, more, more... THINGS!


But, if we truly turn our relationship into a "delight" in the Lord, won't our desires be for the delicious fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness...? Add on top of that wisdom, and you have true pleasure - so delightful!

So, yes... delight in the Lord with all your heart, and enjoy everything that He has waiting for you! Love and life abundant.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...